Animated, energetic, and friendly, influencers (also known as extroverts or socializers) are great talkers, but typically poor listeners. They are optimistic and trusting, and relationships are their top priority. Rejection is very difficult for them. They tend to live an undisciplined, fast-paced life. You’ll often find them in positions that require lots of contact with other people, like sales. They make up 28% of the population.
- They tend to be outgoing and friendly.
- Will monopolize the conversation
- Tend to be disorganized and lose track of time
- Everybody is their friend
- Overly optimistic about everything
- Not concerned with the details
- People oriented
How to Communicate
- Ask lots of questions about them.
- Be friendly and try to build a personal relationship.
- Don’t be impersonal or task oriented.
- Take time for friendly chitchat.
- Tone of voice should be enthusiastic and animated.
How to Sell to Influencers
- Talk about the recognition they will get.
- Mix business with social events (lunch, etc.).
- Use words like exciting, fun, etc.
- Emphasize the good feelings they will have.
- Talk about their dreams and visions.
- They like showy, innovative products.
- The color red attracts their eye.
Self-Study Assignment: Identify several Influencers in your customer/prospect database as well as several Influencers in your personal or business life. On a scale of 1-5 (best), how well do you get along with them? Make a list of the things you will do differently to relate to them more effectively.